XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ZF5HP24 Transmission Speed Sensors (Input & Output) information

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default ZF5HP24 Transmission Speed Sensors (Input & Output) information

Hi
I noticed that is almost no information about the ZF5HP24 Input and Output Sensors located in the valve body part of the transmission.

Our Indy mechanic remarked that we might need to replace one of these transmission sensors (input or output - he did not say which one).

3 weeks ago, We went to a department store that just had their parking repaved earlier in the day (hot asphalt and temps in the upper 80s').

After I started the engine, it began to feel like it was going to stall (also when I tried to accelerate, it went into restricted performance - limp mode).

My code scanner (I keep in the center console) gave me a P1121 DTC code and for some odd reason I could not erase it. We drove to our indy mechanic in limp mode (only about 5 miles away).

He was able to run his scanner and found a problem with the transmission speed sensor, then he erased the DTC codes and everything was back to normal. He wants to wait to see if this is an recurring event.

Last night we were on the Interstate Highway in very heavy slow traffic and the same time happened again (P1121).

This time I was able to erase the DTC code and on engine restart all was well again for maybe another 10 miles than heavy traffic again and back into limp mode (P1122).

I exited the highway and erased the DTC code (Ok on engine restart).

We stopped at one of the shorefront restraunts on the sandy beach along Long Island Sound for dinner and hopefully a break from the heavy traffic.

About and hour and half later, we were back on the highway without all the traffic that was there before and no other problems occured on the rest of the travel home.

Well that is the background and here is the results of my research:

I found the part number (0501 310 401) for the ZF5HP24 transmission speed sensors (both the input and output have the same sensor part number).

These sensor's suggested retail price is about $90 to $100 each, which can be purchased from $54 to $70 from online transmission parts vendors (these are ZF parts, no aftermarket parts are available that I could find).

The CTSC (The California Transmission Supply Company) sells them for $54.17 each - shipping $9.98.
Here is a photo of the speed sensor:

Name:  ZF5HP24SpeedSensorphoto1.jpg
Views: 5638
Size:  10.6 KB

No need to remove transmission, only removal of the transmission oil pan to gain access to the input and output sensors.

Here is a diagram and parts list of these 2 ZF5HP24 speed sensors (shown as Valve Body - Duct Plate Group) from the ZF Spare Parts Catalog (I added red arrows that point to the 2 speed sensors):

Name:  JagXJ8ZF5HP24SpeedSensors.jpg
Views: 9807
Size:  102.0 KB

Maybe someone can point out which one is the input speed sensor and also identify which one is the output speed sensor (both have the same part number). Is the output ref# 27.160 or ref# 27.500?

Also look at this TSB (309-03) on Valve Body replacing - procedure - Not in Workshop Repair Manual (included instructions on replacing these speed sensors - I highlighted the sensor info in red text):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...tsb-307-03-pdf

Here is another photo of the sensor showing it needs to be cleaned (current thread 2000 XJ8 transmission rebuild - where to buy parts):

Name:  ZF5HP24SpeedSensorcoveredinsludgephoto.jpg
Views: 4845
Size:  37.8 KB

The front sensor must be the input sensor (ref# 27.160?) and the back sensor must be the output sensor (ref# 27.500?). Is this a correct assumption?

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ukdude (06-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm suspect this reply may be too late for you as I found your post whilst googling for some info.
My involvement with this box specifically is related to Range Rover rather than Jaguar.
Yes your assumption is correct the front sensor is the turbine input sensor and the rear is the output sensor. Yes they are identical.
What I'm more concerned about is the amount of debris on your sensor. When you remove your box sump pan there are magnets in each corner and I would inspect these carefully before cleaning. Some sludge is normal but metal shavings and chips are not.
Be very careful to ensure that you only refill the box with LT71141 transmission fluid. Under no circumstances allow a Dextron based fluid near it.
You will receive all kinds of assurances or frequently garages just assume Dextron is ok but the oil is critical to this box.
You may also want to change the filter which is immediately inside once the pan is removed. Two torx screw hold it on and don't overtighten them.
Hope this isn't too little too late!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jim, i have an XJR 4.0 on a 1998 and it is showing exactly what yours did only the code mine is showing is p0715, forward turbine speed sensor fault.......did your repair cure your fault??????
Thanks.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 AM

Mine was two separate faults. Firstly the input sensor was o/c and secondly there was a bad connection at the ecu. I've whole saga is written up on another forum in great detail inc. pics.
Shout if you want the link.

Needless to say everyone said I needed a full box overhaul. My instincts disagreed and I was right. Not difficult to fix. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Howie, your car has a Mercedes transmisioon, not the ZF unit referenced here.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Rob post is correct, we have a 2001 XJ8 (ZF transmission), your XJR has (WA Mercedes type transmission).

Our P1121 DTC fault code turned out to be the Throttle Body that needed to be rebuilt or replaced. We sent it out and they rebuilt it.

All is well since the rebuild.

Jim Lombardi

Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Default Please send the link to..

jastorff@gmx.de

THX

Originally Posted by DiJit
Mine was two separate faults. Firstly the input sensor was o/c and secondly there was a bad connection at the ecu. I've whole saga is written up on another forum in great detail inc. pics.
Shout if you want the link.

Needless to say everyone said I needed a full box overhaul. My instincts disagreed and I was right. Not difficult to fix. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Default Transmission Speed sensor problem

My speedometer stopped working then within 1/4 mile the car went into limp mode. I turned off the ignition and left for ten minutes then restarted and car was okay (speedo still not working)but after several more miles the same thing happened again. Is this problem down to faulty input / output speed sensors?

Help anyone?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 PM

Jeffa3509 no doesn't sound like it as if the turbine speed sensors in the gearbox had failed you would likely only have fourth gear and reverse. Sounds like the speed sensor to me but you don't state which car you have.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Default Transmission speed sensor problem

My vehicle is a 1995 4.0 litre sport auto facelift xjs coupe

Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

You might get more assistance posting on the XJS forum.

XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM

Newbie here....I have a 99 Jag Vanden Plas that had a delayed shift into 1st and now only has reverse and 4th. Recent trans oil change using Valvoline full synthetic . Pulled the pan, no metal shavings but a 1/4" plastic triangle in the bottom, otherwise clean. I did get a P1722 and P1642 DTCs. Wiggled the trans and TCM connectors, cleared the codes and they haven't returned but I haven't driven it, just shifted into D and no engagement resulted. Pulled the pan and it is pretty clean with minimal shavings on the magnets and virtually no band/disc residue. One little chip of of .25 X.25 X .090 thick triangle plastic (very odd?). My guess is that it is the 2nd trans since the car has 174K miles. Any guess as to what the plastic is and what is causing the trans to not shift properly?