X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a new 2003 Xtype catalytic converter:(

Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new 2003 Xtype catalytic converter:(

How you doing guys I ran a diagnostic test at the jag dealer in jersey and of course It showed I need a new catyltic converter anyone one how much $$$$ I'm looking at for part itself then the $$$$ for the job to get done? Please any info would be helpful right now

Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

preze, does the term, "bend over, here it comes" mean anything? Unfortunately, a new cat is going to set you back $1573.00 for one at most dealerships. That is the Jaguar list price for the component. If you order it online, some dealerships will get you as low as $1337 (plus S&H). I wish the answer was better, but that is the short of the story. Then you can probably plan on another 2-3 hours of labor to get the old one out and the new one in. So, that is going to be another $300-400 more than likely. You can possibly get away with getting one out of a junkyard for a few hundred, but the big trick will be finding one.

Something that was brought up in another topic here on the X-TYpe Forums is you may want to give cleaning out the cat a shot. In this case, you will still need to pay for removal and install, but what is going to happen is they will pull the cat out, soak it in a citric acid solution. This will pull the garbage out of the cat and restore the cleaning surfaces of the cat to almost brand new. Unfortunately, there is no "magical" solution you can put in with the fuel to do the same thing short of dumping raw fuel into the cat and heating it up till it is glowing red hot (yes, red hot). Even then, you are not going to clean it as well as what the citric acid will do.

Give Nalley jaguar Georgia (sponsor here) a call and see what they can get you a cat for. Just let them know that you are a member here and they should be able to hook you up.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently posted a bit on cat-con cleaning. It seems that a mild solution of citric acid, heated to 80C and submerged for 8 hours restores the cat. The reason they fail is simply contamination. The citric acid solution dissolves the typical contaminates.

From what I read, this works on nearly any cat, nearly 100% of the time.

Soap and other cleaners don't work well.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

Are the Cat-Converters unusual for these cars or is there a universal alternative?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

pab, the cats for our cars are very unique. In short, they are part of the exhaust manifold and are mounted right to the side of the engine. You have a hole half way down on the cat to measure the upstream gas levels and then you have another sensor a few feet down the pipe from the cat that measures the after gas levels.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no aftermarket cat for our cars that is a direct bolt up system. Some guys have bought the Taurus headers and the moved the cats down to more under the vehicle, but this is a lot of work and some shops may not want to do this for you.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

thanks guys for the advice im deff gonna try to get it cleaned before i buy a new one

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

Searched Discount Catalytic Converters - Top Quality Catalytic Converters at pocket-friendly prices and found this:

Davico Rear, Passenger Side Catalytic Converter - Natural, OE
replacement, 49-state legal - no CA shipments
2005 Jaguar X-Type Base 6 Cyl 3.0L
-- DAVICO CATALYTIC CONVERTER - $309.89

It claims that it "Does not require cutting, sliding, clamping, or welding for installation"
Unfortunately, only a "universal" type that needs "Minor modifications" seems to be available for earlier models... :-(
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello preze-buyautoparts.com lists 49 state cats, left or right for 2003 X-Type for $285.12 each-don't know anything about the quality,etc. but the company guarantees them to fit. Cheers, Andy

Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hi mate there is a clip on utube showing u how to clean the cat without removing it if this helps .

Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM

just curious, I know you jersey/east coast guys have car inspections that you have to pass, but will it hurt your car to drive it with a bad cat converter?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Remember that cat converters, by law, have to have an 8 year 80k mile warranty. Could possibly save you some money

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Jmault, driving a car with a bad cat can result in the car stalling and getting horrible mileage because the engine is running too rich. With a clogged cat, it's basically like putting caps on your exhaust so no fumes can come out. It's not that extreme, but it might be a good way to visualize it.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HI Preze
i will have them as of january they are second hand but are removed from cars dismanteled speciically for parts.
Im not sure of the us shipping cost but its certainly not going to be anywhere near dealer prices.
If you need help let me know
alex

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone Tried the Magnaflow $95 Catalytic Converter?

My front cat is corroded and venting. At $95, it gets repaired, at $1400 it doesn't!!!!

+ any correlation between exhaust system leak and a P0121 TPS code? I'm guessing no but can anyone confirm? This code has come up before and the jag dealership cleaned the throttle body which worked for the past 12 months - I plan to try and clean it myself this time to resolve the problem but any advices appreciated.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

danny a fish, it seems like your tps (throttle position sensor) is out or dirty. I would recommend buying a used on from ebay for about $100 and installing it yourself. It is a simple, plug and play part that needs no programming that anyone with a socket set can replace. Just what I would recommend!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM

I'm experiencing the same issue's and 100% sure yet if the cat is clogged. but, assuming it is, I had an idea that I would like to run past you guys. what I'm thinking is removing the upsteam O2 sensor and using a hose and funnel and poring the citric acid mix in that way with the everything in place. If the cat is cloged, a majority of the mix will stay there until it works it's wat through, if not, it will run out the exhaust when the car is started. Thinking I would let it sit for a day or so and let it do it's work! thoughts?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Joe, I have never heard of cleaning the cats with citric acid, yet I looked it up on google and it seems that it has fixed the issue with the cats many times! I would say that you can probably get the cats clean enough to flow a little bit through with one treatment, yet if it were my car, I would remove the cat and let it soak because if you just dump citric acid into it, and it's not completely clogged, the solution will only be in contact with the cat for a short period of time before dripping out of the affected area in the cat. Just my 2 cents

Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Disguy,
That's the delema I guess. it's the rear cat which is tight up against the firwall. so it comes down to trying to get it out without dropping the subframe, which is what the service manual suggests, of trying this method with the citric acid. I also seen a video on youtube where a guy runs a gallon of laquer thinner in a 1/4 tank to clean the cats. the guy claims he's done this for years with great results. kinda scarry sounding to me!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone tried this and had success?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need a new 2003 Xtype catalytic converter:(