XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

All I did was lift the carpet and installed the hose under it. Removing the plastic panel was a matter of pushing it forward with a lifting motion, sounds harder than it was to do. As for the running board I did not remove mine I just worked the hose under the carpet from the center of the car. The foot rest did not cause a problem for me.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The polished kick plate is rather difficult to remove. I used a heat gun to warm the most adhesive double backed tape on the planet then a razor knife and some dental floss to 'cut' it loose. I was able to remove mine without damaging it but most shops consider a new one just part of the cost of the hose replacement.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies...I was able to finally get the foot rest loose and remove the panel without taking off the chrome running board so that was a relief. Now I am messing with getting the line from the back seat to the trunk. I feel like I need to raise the roof a little to get a little more access. Did you guys have to do that? It looks like it is going to be a royal pain to get those lines through that small hole that is already jammed with wires. Unfortunately have only had about an hour a day to work on this. Hopefully I will be able to knock it out over the weekend.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjxkr00
looks like it is going to be a royal pain to get those lines through that small hole that is already jammed with wires.
IMO, the easiest way is to use duct tape and tape the new hoses to the old ones, then pull the new ones through using the old ones.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
IMO, the easiest way is to use duct tape and tape the new hoses to the old ones, then pull the new ones through using the old ones.
+1

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Default Just had it done

Found x jag mech to do job. Suggested kit from jag. He claims they also fail. Replaced entire lines which involves tearing car apart. What a disgraceful piece of engineering!!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by AltoPaul
Found x jag mech to do job. Suggested kit from jag. He claims they also fail. Replaced entire lines which involves tearing car apart. What a disgraceful piece of engineering!!

Ain't it amazingly stupid!

Doug

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Ben,

You are new to the forum and the links may not work for you. This link will put you in the right direction Hose Replacement or Hose Evaluation or use the link in my signature.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM

Hi Gus
I sent a couple of messages to the link you provided for the CGR hose repair kit you came up with. ( see below) I have yet to get a reply. Did I mess up or do I need to just call them?

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:59 PM
To: 'ctrent@colliflower.com'
Subject: Jaguar CGR Roof Hose

Hi Chic

My name is Phil Kispert. I am a member of the Jaguar Forum, and am writing to ask about the Jaguar replacement hose kit that Gus Gilkas worked with you to develop. I have an 01 Jaguar XK-8 convertible, and need to replace the hydraulic roof hose. Please email me back with price and ordering information.

Regards,

Phil Kispert
pnkispert@gmail.com
828-974-2152

Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Phil,

I had the same challenge---contact Michele Trent at 410-686-1200 or via email at MTrent@colliflower.com

The following users liked this post:
pkispert (09-16-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountaincat
Phil,

I had the same challenge---contact Michele Trent at 410-686-1200 or via email at MTrent@colliflower.com
Thanks - had the same "no response" and have emailed Michele

Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinaz123
I had Greg at British Automotive Repair look at it and he showed me how to push the ram down. he put one hand on top of the ram on the inside and the other hand on top of the first hand on the outside surface of the top and push down on the outer hand. That way he got downward pressure to move it. I did it myself using a folded rag on the inside and 2 hands on the outside with the weight of my upper body. This technique worked for me.

We diagnosed the problem as a bad microswitch in the passenger side top ram. I'll take it back to him to fix since half the interior has to be remove to get to it.

Bob
Bob - Is this Greg a good mechanic for a Jag in this area? Can you post his contacts or send me a pm.
Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Kal

Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I was out of town for a day or two, did you get this resolved?? If not let me know. I did not get your messages..

Originally Posted by pkispert
Hi Gus
I sent a couple of messages to the link you provided for the CGR hose repair kit you came up with. ( see below) I have yet to get a reply. Did I mess up or do I need to just call them?

Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:59 PM
To: 'ctrent@colliflower.com'
Subject: Jaguar CGR Roof Hose

Hi Chic

My name is Phil Kispert. I am a member of the Jaguar Forum, and am writing to ask about the Jaguar replacement hose kit that Gus Gilkas worked with you to develop. I have an 01 Jaguar XK-8 convertible, and need to replace the hydraulic roof hose. Please email me back with price and ordering information.

Regards,

Phil Kispert
pnkispert@gmail.com
828-974-2152

Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjxkr00
Thanks for the quick replies...I was able to finally get the foot rest loose and remove the panel without taking off the chrome running board so that was a relief. Now I am messing with getting the line from the back seat to the trunk. I feel like I need to raise the roof a little to get a little more access. Did you guys have to do that? It looks like it is going to be a royal pain to get those lines through that small hole that is already jammed with wires. Unfortunately have only had about an hour a day to work on this. Hopefully I will be able to knock it out over the weekend.
I did the hose replacement last weekend. When I got to the point of routing the hoses into the trunk, I could not even see the hole into the trunk and the old hose was impossible to pull through. What I did was manually grab the roof by hand and pull it up slowly about 1/2 way. It will stay up like that by itself. Then I had a clear view of the hole to the trunk and just pushed the new hoses individually through the hole. Later I just pushed the roof all the way down again (make sure you push it all the way down). This worked well....good luck with the job!!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Hi Gus
Mountaincat gave me another person to contact. Michele Trent. I will try that today. Another question for you... I have seen three suggested solutions to this problem; hoses, pressure relief valve and resistor. Is one better? I am thinking about doing both stronger hoses and the valve, but skipping the resistor. Any suggestions or comments? Phil

Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pkispert
Hi Gus
Mountaincat gave me another person to contact. Michele Trent. I will try that today. Another question for you... I have seen three suggested solutions to this problem; hoses, pressure relief valve and resistor. Is one better? I am thinking about doing both stronger hoses and the valve, but skipping the resistor. Any suggestions or comments? Phil
Phil,

Let me know how you make out with the hose. I am partial to the valve and know it is a superior application between the two applications.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I, on the other hand, believe ("know" seems the wrong word for what is, after all, an opinion) the electrical approach to be better because:

- the installation is trivial, much less invasive.

- the motor consumes less power running under reduced voltage, which should extend its life.

- the cost is less than 10% that of the valve.

- this solution is on the right side of history. Many if not all car manufacturers now use electrical control of pump pressure in convertible top hydraulics. I don't know of any still using a relief valve.

All this said, I would prefer not to have to respond to statements about which approach is "superior".

Last edited by Dennis07; 09-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sorry but I do know! See the attached chart. It is what it is.

Attached Thumbnails  Convertible top latch hydraulic problem-stk-res-valve-3-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Ah, we must go on it seems.

As some here know, I'm on the road for a week or so, but there will be time down the road. Have not taken a close look so far.

For now, I would just ask folks to stand by and recall this is from the same source claiming a stall while raising the top (not seen by any of 200+ other users.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem