S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are all the wire connectors in the boot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What are all the wire connectors in the boot?

Took the carpet and trim off the right side of the trunk to access the parking brake contol module. Stopped dead in my tracks because of some non-factory wiring that had been spliced in. Looking closer discovered many unused factory wire connectors. Need help identifying these things.

I'm thinking that the non factory stuff is from a DVD/Navigation system because some of the cable ends look like video, and because one of the non factory cables goes around to the stero amp/CD changer side of the car.

Does anyone recognize any of this?

On the factory side, what are these connectors for? Other factory options I'd guess, but can anyone be more specific?

Attached Thumbnails What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-cable-1-2.jpg   What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-cable-1-3-splices.jpg   What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-cable-2-end.jpg   What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-cable-3-end.jpg   What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-cable-end.jpg  

What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-factory-connector-1.jpg   What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-factory-connector-2.jpg   What are all the wire connectors in the boot?-jaguar-factory-connector-3.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcellr8
Took the carpet and trim off the right side of the trunk to access the parking brake contol module. Stopped dead in my tracks because of some non-factory wiring that had been spliced in. Looking closer discovered many unused factory wire connectors. Need help identifying these things.

I'm thinking that the non factory stuff is from a DVD/Navigation system because some of the cable ends look like video, and because one of the non factory cables goes around to the stero amp/CD changer side of the car.

Does anyone recognize any of this?

On the factory side, what are these connectors for? Other factory options I'd guess, but can anyone be more specific?
Someone spliced in a Motorola Hands free kit into that car at one point.

Probably around the days of the star tac / time port, as since it has a hardwired TNC connector, it had a real antenna (or a connection for one).

Factory connector #1 is for the optional rear power accessory point. (You could add a lighter plug in the car)

Factory connector #2 is for the CATS suspension model, but your car doesn't have it, it would sit next to the EPB module in the trunk.

I can't really tell what factory connector 3 is, where is that harness relative to the car.

Take Care,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 05-26-2011 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Xcellr8 (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Awesome info! Thank You! It is all history, coming out right away. My S-type is lightly optioned. So, I'm not surprised to find unused connectors, but since I'm trying to chase down an electrical issue, knowing what they is VALUABLE knowledge.

The third factory connector is inside the trunk just below the right rear tail light. I could get a photo of the inside of the connector if that would help.

Thanks again,
Joe

Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

what are you trying to find? and take those god damn t-taps off those wires before i puke on myself. Friggin hacks

Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phd12volt
what are you trying to find? and take those god damn t-taps off those wires before i puke on myself. Friggin hacks
You think the Cellular one store had ever heard of a soldering Iron Jason?

You should see the butcher job someone did to put one of those old school wired phones into my SL. Straight house wire nuts to tap into the wires, after cutting the factory ones LOL!

Take care,

George

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM

I am still on the quest to find the source of all the warning lights and messages on the instrument cluster i.e. brake light on, ABS light on, yellow and red lights above tach message center on, brake fluid low, cannot apply parking brake, apply foot and parking brake, ABS fault, EDB fault.

Since some of the messages involve the parking brake and because I have never heard the parking brake motor, I was digging into the trunk to check that the parking brake control module was properly connected. Also read in another post that I could check the parking brake motor by applying 12v power from the battery using alligator clips to the largest two wires in the harness connected to the parking brake control module (not sure about that now that I have seen the harness connectors)

So, when I got to that part of the trunk and found what is pictured above. I thought I needed a bit more education before continuing.

Any other thoughts?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

ahhhh makes sense now.so make yourself a set of wires with alligator clips on each end. Then unplug the EPBM (electronic parking brake module) just so you know, hen the motor fails, you will get brake lights abs and cannot apply parking brake. I just changed mine recently and everything went away. anywho, i laid out some reading instructions on the complete chassis wiring post. to help you decipher what you are looking at.

OK now on to the EPB. If i had to do it again, it would be quite easy. literally a plug and play, disconnect battery, and reprogram.

i am going to pull up some of the connectors and schematic and walk you through some of it and what to check. i have a jtis disc which gives you alot of testing information.

diagram 5.2

CA241-3 color RW
CA241-2 color GW
These are the motor wires at the EPBM your gonna want to unplug the 4 pin connector and take your alligator clips and apply it to those wires. If you hear the motor move, you need to check for output from the module. If you dont hear anything, you will want to make sure the connector under the car is connected. it could be waterlogged and causing all the faults.

ok under the vehicle is the main EPB connector. CA269 under the subframe assembly behind the passenger rear tire. It is gray in color (the connector itself) it is a 6 pin harness.

you can then unplug that 6 pin harness, and use your jumper wires to check the red/white and green/white plug on the motor side from there, if still no response then you need a new parking brake motor. Call Nalley Jaguar, they had the best price and its only 2 day shipping.

See knowing connector numbers and having a general idea of the schematic really does make this easier. I got my JTIS disc online for like 15 dollars shipped. It is truly a life saver. (that and Brutal putting his ideas and procedures online) While your shopping on ebay make sure you grab a can-bus obd2 reader and eraser. While it wont do air bag stuff, it is a good tool to get you in the right area of the problem.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

ahhhh makes sense now.so make yourself a set of wires with alligator clips on each end. Then unplug the EPBM (electronic parking brake module) just so you know, hen the motor fails, you will get brake lights abs and cannot apply parking brake. I just changed mine recently and everything went away. anywho, i laid out some reading instructions on the complete chassis wiring post. to help you decipher what you are looking at.

OK now on to the EPB. If i had to do it again, it would be quite easy. literally a plug and play, disconnect battery, and reprogram.

i am going to pull up some of the connectors and schematic and walk you through some of it and what to check. i have a jtis disc which gives you alot of testing information.

diagram 5.2

CA241-3 color RW
CA241-2 color GW
These are the motor wires at the EPBM your gonna want to unplug the 4 pin connector and take your alligator clips and apply it to those wires. If you hear the motor move, you need to check for output from the module. If you dont hear anything, you will want to make sure the connector under the car is connected. it could be waterlogged and causing all the faults.

ok under the vehicle is the main EPB connector. CA269 under the subframe assembly behind the passenger rear tire. It is gray in color (the connector itself) it is a 6 pin harness.

you can then unplug that 6 pin harness, and use your jumper wires to check the red/white and green/white plug on the motor side from there, if still no response then you need a new parking brake motor. Call Nalley Jaguar, they had the best price and its only 2 day shipping.

See knowing connector numbers and having a general idea of the schematic really does make this easier. I got my JTIS disc online for like 15 dollars shipped. It is truly a life saver. (that and Brutal putting his ideas and procedures online) While your shopping on ebay make sure you grab a can-bus obd2 reader and eraser. While it wont do air bag stuff, it is a good tool to get you in the right area of the problem.
There are other ways to get jtis OP if you're reading PM me.

And if you have a laptop by FAR the best obdii setup you can get is the elm327 from scantool.net get it off of amazon, 45 bucks. Not only does it read all the codes, but it also lets you scan live data!

Now Jason, your "cloud" links dont work for me. Are you posting the S-Type wiring guides from the JTIS cd? Or something different? If you guys want I can get alldata stuff too from my brother's shop (and print to PDF )

Take care,

George

Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Now Jason, your "cloud" links dont work for me. Are you posting the S-Type wiring guides from the JTIS cd? Or something different? If you guys want I can get alldata stuff too from my brother's shop (and print to PDF )

Take care,

George
they do take a minute to load, but i just clicked them without being signed into google and they worked. weird

Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

What "cloud" links? Are there links? I don't see any

Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Received 6,255 Likes on 5,455 Posts

Have you tried a search?

The links are in Jasons other threads that have been linked to the FAQ's.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sorry but nothing about the cloud quote seemed to say it was about a different thread!

I found them anyway and had already posted that I can't see the things they refer to before your above post, but no matter.

Turns out they're just the ones in JTIS, on http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm and I think also on Gus's site!

Last edited by JagV8; 05-27-2011 at 11:09 AM.