Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

washing car in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing car in the rain

does anyone think its a bad idea to wash your car while its raining? no sunlight, means no waterspot/dryspot. Never have to hose=water saved. No harsh chemical coming from town's tap, etc,etc.

I have a Jeep thats in very poor condition (paint).Extremely Oxidized, full of cruds. I was planning on a MAJOR wash and detail routine this weekend, unfortunely its going to rain this friday>monday (east coast). I just I could wait, but I'm itching to try all the newgoodies I'd purchased last week. Probably take about 2 days to work on the car, she deserves it.

1. Meguiar NXT carwash (in the rain)
2. Turtle Wax Liquid Clay bar (in the rain)
3. Meguiar Clay bar kit (garage)
4. Meguiar Cleaner Wax (freebie with the kit)
5. Mother's Sealer and Glaze (1 coat)
6. Mother's FX Synwax (1 coat)
7. 3M plastic cleaner and polish (headlights/taillight)
8. Mother's Back to Black
9. Black Magic wheel cleaner
10.Eagles Tire shine
11. Final step, Meguiar's Speed detailer.

I've also ordered someKlasse AIO + Sealer Glaze, heard good reviews of it, plan on using it on the Jag and the Lexus is350.
I would take pictures of it, if only I own a digital camera, never felt I needed one.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: washing car in the rain

I have to agree with Jeep boy..Rain although is distilled water, it contains very fine dust and dirt particles..and if you rub it in on a nice finish, it willleave some fine scratches in it.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I hear singin in the rain but that one is news to me [8D]lol

Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Why spend a fortune on washes,waxes,sealers.glazes,speed detailers,buckets,wash mits or sponges,etc not to mention spending all day putting them on and wiping them off?
I converted to waterlessa year or 2 back.
Costs around £15 every 6-8 months for a spray bottle inc microfibre cloths.
Wipe on wipe off...job done...dissolves dirt and contains Carnuba wax so car gleams.
First couple of times after rain leaves no water marks.
Takes less than 20 mins to do the whole exterior on my 6 year old X Type...
Name:  e23d0c99.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  26.4 KB
For the black plastic I use Black Wow (expensive £18/small bottle) but bottle lasts forever and exterior plastics stay black for around 6 weeks.
On wheels I only use non acidic P21S as recommended by a professional exotic car detailer off another forum....dirt just runs off and the cleaner doesnt attack the wheels.
Needless to say I wont be going back to spending £££s on all the other washes,waxes,etc which take ages to apply and I probably tried most of them.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM

Well, I've decided against it. A. don't want to get sick, B. don't want to look like an @ss.

BuckMR2, Optimum No Rinse wash? maybe one day when I'm old and fat. NOT IMPLYING that you are. Teehee.
right now i'll just stick to the traditional way, out of fear (seriously). Although the paint on your car does look immaculate!!

BTW, DO NOT BUY TURTLE WAX LIQUID CLAY BAR, it's Garbage! I know others been saying it, I only brought it to try for thyself,since TW Ice Polish wasn't all that bad, imo. I've spend about 2 and a half hours scrubbing and the paint still feel like sandpaper. And still plenty ofcontaminants. Stick with the real thing. Thats what I'll be doing next. I will say that the paint do look more vibrant.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW!..(re: TW Liquid Clay bar) I'm surprised that it didn't work for you..Hmmm..My Jag's finish came out glass smooth..Sorry you didn't like it...Oh well..I agree though, the old fashioned clay bar is for sure the best for the deeper cleaning.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Just an FYI do not put too much Klasse on when you are doing your car. Literally a nickel size should do half the hood. I like to use in layering products. I personally use Wolfgang waxes and layer the klasse on top and it keeps for several months. Try Detailers Pride wheel glaze and tire gel. Brake dust falls off and tires stay black for weeks.