XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Sport mode/paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport mode/paddle shifters

Hey guys,

I searched the forums, but couldn't find a direct answer.When I put my car in sport mode, do I have to use the paddle shifters? Can you just put the car in sport mode and drive like it's automatic?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

No, in sport mode you do not have to use the paddle shifters.

Until recently you could use the paddle shifter in both drive and sport mode, if you were not using the paddles for a set time it would revert back to auto mode. A change on the newer XF's is that the paddle shifters are only available in sport mode. Your dealer should be able to program it so the paddles can work in both drive and sport mode if you desire.

The following users liked this post:
dannygjatt (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

One other difference between S and D. If you select S the transmission remains in full automatic mode until you select a gear with a paddle, thereafter it remains fixed in manual shift mode until you either select D or select an upshift and hold the upshift paddle for more than 3 seconds.

Even in full manual mode the transmission will shift up at redline (very handy for road driving) and downshift if the engine rpm get too low. Unless you shift manually into first the transmission starts off in 2 when in automatic or manual mode.

In S the transmission selects a lower gear than when in D, does not upshift as early and the shift time is reduced leading to a more abrupt shift.

On a bendy road it is pure delight to manually shift the XF in S mode. For a stop light GP start select S and manually select 1, then nail it and hold it allowing the computer to select the upshifts.

Also, for very slippery conditions select S, 2, Winter and TRAC and enjoy the almost magical traction.

It is too bad the default for D is now no manual shift unless the dealer resets the computer for you. Another joy of driving the XF is to snap off a downshift or two when in D for overtaking or for an exit ramp, then the transmission remains in manual mode until 30 seconds passes with no paddle input, no bends or no throttle lift. That is a very nifty feature.

Still, it is very easy to accidentally select a gear with a paddle and then wonder why the transmission is stuck in gear!

dannygjatt (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Default just tried it...

I got into my car reversed out of my drive, put the car in s mode and drove down the road 35mph. after a minute it sounded like the revving noise and the car was going no where. so i just put it back into drive. Would it be ok to use the dynamic mode and the s mode and just drive in regular residential areas? Should I only use these features if I'm jumping on the on-ramp and try to "take off?"

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Default paddle shifters

Originally Posted by PaleRider
No, in sport mode you do not have to use the paddle shifters.

Until recently you could use the paddle shifter in both drive and sport mode, if you were not using the paddles for a set time it would revert back to auto mode. A change on the newer XF's is that the paddle shifters are only available in sport mode. Your dealer should be able to program it so the paddles can work in both drive and sport mode if you desire.
Have you actually heard of a dealer reprograming paddle shifters on an XF so they work in D. I am trying to buy a new XF (2012) and am being told it can't be done! Thanks

Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by dannygjatt
I got into my car reversed out of my drive, put the car in s mode and drove down the road 35mph. after a minute it sounded like the revving noise and the car was going no where.
Are you sure you didn't accidently put it in "N" mode? lol!
Vector

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I drive mine exclusively with the drive selector on s and paddle shift it so I can keep the engine rpm right where I want it plus it is a more involved driving experience. Dynamic Mode is always engaged when I drive as well, the suspension feels better when it is stiffened up a bit. The car simply feels better, more alive and responsive.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
I drive mine exclusively with the drive selector on s and paddle shift it so I can keep the engine rpm right where I want it plus it is a more involved driving experience. Dynamic Mode is always engaged when I drive as well, the suspension feels better when it is stiffened up a bit. The car simply feels better, more alive and responsive.

How's your gas mileage? About 10 mpg? LOL

Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 AM

I got into my car reversed out of my drive, put the car in s mode and drove down the road 35mph. after a minute it sounded like the revving noise and the car was going no where. so i just put it back into drive. Would it be ok to use the dynamic mode and the s mode and just drive in regular residential areas? Should I only use these features if I'm jumping on the on-ramp and try to "take off?"
"S" mode will take you quite high in the RPM's... although you can manipulate the shifts by lifting a bit.

Originally Posted by TheLegend
I did 17.7 after a day in sport mode... some shifting was mine, some was auto.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it depends on the trim leve. My portfolio paddles work in D when ever I touch them. If I don't use the paddles for a about a minute it goes back to regular auto mode.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
WWM

I've noticed that the S-mode automatic sometimes holds gears a bit too long. For example, giving an amount of throttle that would cause the regular automatic mode to shift to 3rd gear at 2200 RPM, the S-mode will hold the gear until about 5000. It's way out of wack with the amount of throttle so the engine keeps revving way past the point you think it should shift. I stick to D if I'm going automatic, only moving to S if I want to manually shift.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLegend

15 mpg according to the display and I'm driving in town only. Gotta Pay to Play! My Trailblazer SS averages 13 mpg so the Jag is my economy car.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rique
I think it depends on the trim leve. My portfolio paddles work in D when ever I touch them. If I don't use the paddles for a about a minute it goes back to regular auto mode.
There was some talk a while back in this forum of a software update that disabled the paddle shifters in D on all models. I never had this so called update applied, so my car behaves in the way you describe. The later models (some 2011 and all 2012) have the paddle shifters disabled in D mode (people were accidentally operating them in D mode, I believe).

Diwoman (08-25-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Even in full manual mode the transmission will shift up at redline (very handy for road driving) and downshift if the engine rpm get too low. Unless you shift manually into first the transmission starts off in 2 when in automatic or manual mode.

... For a stop light GP start select S and manually select 1, then nail it and hold it allowing the computer to select the upshifts.
Hmmm. My first ride was in a '09 XF SC. I forgot to upshift and the car was banging on the rev limiter, not upshifting automatically. The salesman warned that it was possible to overrev the engine. I've never tested this on my '11 XF Prem. Could it be that the SC's are programmed not to upshift in paddle mode, but the lower trim levels do?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
15 mpg according to the display and I'm driving in town only. Gotta Pay to Play! My Trailblazer SS averages 13 mpg so the Jag is my economy car.
Amen to that!
Who cares???
If you were after best mpg, you wouldn't buy a V8. Let alone with a supercharger on it.

Wife's Tech (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
There was some talk a while back in this forum of a software update that disabled the paddle shifters in D on all models. I never had this so called update applied, so my car behaves in the way you describe. The later models (some 2011 and all 2012) have the paddle shifters disabled in D mode (people were accidentally operating them in D mode, I believe).
I think its great to be able to use then in D when ever you want to. Would'nt have this changed. What do you think about yours?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think its great to be able to use then in D when ever you want to. Would'nt have this changed. What do you think about yours?
Agree totally. I will not allow them to 'update' the software to remove the functionality. I never accidentally hit them and I do make use of them on occasion. I think Jaguar over reacted on this one. Perhaps they should have an option for no paddles for those that do not or cannot use them.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM

The ability to downshift... even in D also allows for brake pad savings... I use the paddles at every redlight/stopsing and every other "anticipated" stop.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wife's Tech
The ability to downshift... even in D also allows for brake pad savings... I use the paddles at every redlight/stopsing and every other "anticipated" stop.
Yes you can but I never recommend braking with the gearbox. Brake pads are cheap you can change them in a few minutes.

Wife's Tech (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Yes you can but I never recommend braking with the gearbox. Brake pads are cheap you can change them in a few minutes.
I'm not talking a down-to-first gear braking but to slow down by down shifting as I always have with my manual transmission cars like coming to a stop light. Theory being, the brakes are working less by clamping onto an already slowing mass rather than initiating the friction.... besides, that's what I thought the rev-blip was for whenever we use paddles to shift down.

I understand what you're saying though.... would hate to fix/replace a tranny in one of these cars... the price of my touchscreen (replaced under warranty) was over 5K... can't imaging what a transmission + labor would be... Does make a brake job seem a bit more appealing... lol

Quick Reply: Sport mode/paddle shifters