X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: Fix Door latch issue/cannot open door FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How-to: Fix Door latch issue/cannot open door FAQ

I have been experiencing the all to common problem of not being able to open my door from the outside so I decided to tackle the issue and write a how-to for the fix.

There is a FAQ on how to remove the door panel, which of course is the first step; this is how to fix the door latch issue.

The procedure is very easy and does not require you to purchase any parts. The existing parts can be re-used. The issue is not with the parts. This procedure is for the outside door handle not opening the door. The inside latch will be very similar; in fact the inside is a lot easier than the outside.

Step 1. Leave the window up and remove the door panel (Follow FAQ)

Step 2. Peel back door panel insulation only on right side.

Note: Be careful not to touch the adhesive, it will stick back to the car if untouched. I used a utility knife to cut away at it and then pulled it back.

Step 3. Look at the lock mechanism. (It is not necessary to pull the mechanism out, I did for better pictures but you can do this without pulling it out.) You will see a red clip, this is the inside door latch cable. Behind the lock mechanism is a connecting rod that goes from the mechanism to the top of the door. You will see it attached to the mechanism with a white plastic clip. This clip is the reason it’s failing.

The clip has grooves inside that the metal rod sits inside and latches to. What happens is over time the rod will move and seat itself in different grooves, which make it harder/impossible to open.

Step 4. Undo the clip holding the rod in place. This took me a while to figure out how to do. I used a mirror to look at the backside of the clip so I could see just how to disconnect it. The trick of it is the exposed side of the clip will slide out sideways. There is a piece of plastic retaining the clip in place that you have to press in with a screwdriver or your finger while sliding out. Its very easy but may take a few tries.

Step 5. Pull down as far as you can go on the connecting rod and seat it in the clip, the clip is still disconnected at this point, the rod will hold in place. Don’t pull too hard as to pull the outside door handle out of position. Once you have the rod in the clip slide the part of the clip you removed back into place.

Step 6. Test to make sure its satisfactory and put everything back together.

The following 13 users liked this post by rhriczko:
billbjork (03-20-2013), carlosvela1520 (02-07-2017), carlstev (11-21-2017), ColinH (05-19-2017), Fabrizio Ricci (02-14-2016), Florida (08-19-2017), JetBlack (02-29-2012), Justicejamesb (07-06-2014), Lisa Hockings (06-15-2020), Richard66 (03-21-2013), Tatanka (12-22-2017), wa3ra (08-10-2014), wesmc (11-18-2014) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks , this is will be a condiment with the door panel removal

Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of you out there do need to buy a new Door Clip the part number is C2S35117, they cost about $1 or (£1.50 GBP) each.... The man at the Jaguar dealership said that they had redesigned the part as it had caused so may problems on the early X-Types...

Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has this problem so I will have a go at this. Thanks for the post

Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 AM
Wink Make sure you have the clips...

Originally Posted by Mjdawes
Mine has this problem so I will have a go at this. Thanks for the post
I found that the info in the above article was good, but not correct for my Jaguar X-Type 2004...

When I got in to the door and looked for the bit where the clip was, mine had a heavy duty metal surround bolted over it, and without removing that, there was no way you could get to the troublesome clip...

My guess is that this was added by Jaguar as an additional security thing as the early ones were easy to break in to..., I think you could punch a screwdriver thru and it would pop open..

The other thing I would say it that you really must get yourself a load of the spare plastic clips that plug the door card on..., these always break.., always...

Plan the job, and get a spare plastic clip for the rod (the one that is the root of the problem) and get the clips for the door..., last thing you want is to get all this lot off and not be able to finish the job...

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (05-23-2014)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

My 2002 2.5 X-type has the same metal plating over the latch. Its held in place with a couple of plastic clips but nonetheless is a pig to get clear of the latch mech to work on it because of the window (even though it is in the up position). In my case also the handle to latch link doesn't seem to be the problem.. the lock does not always want to unlock from inside even when hauling on the inside door handle, but does if you remove the key from the ignition and press unlock. Also if using the key to lock the car (yep the usual remote buttons failing for me) it doesn't always register the key turning.. feels resistive and does not lock until key removed and put back in. The 'key' thing :-) pun intended, is that if you do do this be prepared in case you have the shielding over the latch.. I did upload the pictures of the shield in another post - you can get past it but it makes the job quite a bit harder..

Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Thanks. Will bear this in mind

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

On my 03 X type sport shortly after I bought it the Pass. inside handle wouldn't work, the dealer replaced something and it was ok but now 4 yrs later every once in a while when you pull the handle it sounds like it's unlocking but it won't open, ya have to relock and do it again then it opens, same with the Pass. rear door only it's the outside handle that acts quirky. Doesn't seem to be related to the front one or do it at the same time.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Default Door lock problem resolved

I would like to thank "rhriczko" for this excellent post and photographs. i have an 02 type out in Hong kong and couldnt get a solution. This fixed it, except that I had to reseat the rod UP as far as it could comfortably go, rather than pulling it down.
For mine, when opening the door with the exterior handle, the rod was not pushing Down far enough on the unlock mechanism, so it needed more travel and thus, raising where it sat in the clip was teh solution needed.

Tip for fellow novices, IF you do unscrew the lock (to see this infernal clip properly) and disconnect internal opening cable from the lock, just be careful putting the cable back because somehow I accidentally routed it behind the window track and whilst it all looked like it worked fine, the first time my wife drove to the shops, wound down the window to take a parking ticket, the window stuck as it caught the cable, the door unlocked, the window pulling the cable ripped it out of the internal door carrier and she was then stuck in the car.... DOOH...
im lucky it didnt do any damage and it only took me 15 mins to opn up and reset it all but, oops...

One last suggestion is that IF like mine, you need to raise the rod and therefore with a worn clip it might happen again, there might be a way to stop it tripping through the dodgy clip again. I found a small flat washer that fit over the rod and a 1" piece of 5mm plastic tube. i put the tube on the rod, then the washer and then seated the rod in the right position in the clip. I then eased the tube up the rod, put a little glue on the remaining exposed rod and slid it down to the washer again. Hopefully the glue will hold the plastic tube in place and prevent the rod pushing through the clip again.

Attached Thumbnails How-to: Fix Door latch issue/cannot open door FAQ-img_2165.jpg   How-to: Fix Door latch issue/cannot open door FAQ-img_2160.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

On the older cars (like mine)a quick readjustment will not hold very long if the rod has worn away the gripping 'teeth' in the clip holding it to the lock mechanism.

However all is not lost if (like me) you object to paying mail order Jaguar parts suppliers around £6 for postage of a cheap nylon clip.

Happily the rod is threaded and will take a standard 5mm nut which can then be used to adjust precisely point at which the rod operates the lock, and therefore the "feel" of the door handle from outside.

Because the lock opening movement is downwards the force of the applied downforce is now applied where the nut contacts the clip, and will not slip again

The following 3 users liked this post by Bogbrush:
JaguArvid (06-03-2019), Kota62 (03-27-2016), Rogelio Serrano (10-02-2016)
Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM

On the older cars (like mine) a quick readjustment will not hold very long if the rod has worn away the gripping 'teeth' in the body of the clip holding it to the lock mechanism.

However all is not lost if (like me) you object to paying mail order Jaguar parts suppliers around £6 for postage of a cheap nylon clip. The clip itself is cheap enough but my nearest dealer is a round trip of 30 miles.

Happily the rod is threaded and will take a standard 5mm nut which can then be used to adjust precisely the point at which the rod operates the lock, and therefore the "feel" of the door handle from outside. Obviously a 5mm nut requires an 8mm spanner.

Because the lock opening movement is downwards the downforce is now applied where the nut contacts the clip, and not inside the body of the clip. It will not slip again

Old 01-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Sorry chaps, the forum will not let me delete or edit the first of these posts. Seems a bit odd when every other car forum I have reguistered with allows these funstions as a basoc toolset.

MarkC (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Bogbrush......

Brilliant!

A few drops of locktite should help keep the nut from moving.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:22 PM

Many door knob and lockset problems can be corrected before they become so serious that the lockset does not work at all. Often, a malfunctioning latch assembly or lock mechanism causes the problem. For serious lock problems, it is usually best to call Cystallake locksmith to replace the lock entirely. Most interior door knobs are relatively inexpensive to replace.My wife tried getting into her car today, but the lock has stuck, eventually opened it by entering via the passenger door to unlock it, but something seems to be stuck, the door won't even open via the outside door handle when it's unlocked, after i took the door liner off, i still cant get to the lock as it's encased inside a metal case, have you any ideas at all how i can get to it to sort it out at all, as i need to call Crystallake locksmiith.They reached in proper time and keeps the door unlocked.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default door latch

I just did a door latch on a 05 Tahoe(chev) and it has the same grip mechanism for the lock as the Jag so I assume a lot of models use this plastic rod gripper. Just a FYI I know this is a Jag sight.LOL

Old 03-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

"it is usually best to call Cystallake locksmith to replace the lock entirely."

That wouldn't be because you work there or it is your business, would it?

Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
"it is usually best to call Cystallake locksmith to replace the lock entirely."

That wouldn't be because you work there or it is your business, would it?
My thoughts entirely. In addition the fault we are discussing is nothing to do with the lock mechanism itself.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:19 AM

For any type of lock door issues contact HOLLYWOOD LOCKSMITH.These guys are really hard working and awesome.They are excellent in their profession.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Keshelsmith
For any type of lock door issues contact HOLLYWOOD LOCKSMITH.These guys are really hard working and awesome.They are excellent in their profession.
Completely useless. They told me they do not cover the UK

wa3ra (05-03-2016)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have the obvious Door lock not operating, although from the posts everyone else has fixed it years ago. My door will not operate and is SHUT. I have gained some access by wedging the trim panel. I have access to the WHITE clip block and the cable, But no amount of pushing etc will operate the lock. As the problem started ELECTRICALLY I wonder if there is an Electrical lock function that must be btpassed before the Mechanical rods etc will operate. ANY CLUES PLEASE.
I am at this stage removing the passengers seat.
I am in Australia, so Right hand drive and My problem is Passenger (LH) door
2003 X Type 2.5
Help please.

Quick Reply: How-to: Fix Door latch issue/cannot open door FAQ