S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mobile phone connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mobile phone connection

Hi folks, i'm new to this excellent forum site. I'm in the UK and have recently purchased a 2004 S type 3.0 V6 SE. I love the car and all the luxuries that come with it...HOWEVER.... The phone connection facility is causing me a major headache and wondered if any of you could help?

I figured that the previous owner, a company director, would have used the phone facility. This coupled with all the relevant buttons being where they should be, i thought it would be a doddle to sort out...how wrong i was.

Having checked the official jaguar website and found the car and my phone to be compatible in every way, i pressed the phone button to type in the ##3#*# to be greeted with the message "NO PHONE" I tried to type it in anyway, but it wouldn't show on the screen and as soon as i pressed the 3 the radio changed to that preset.

I am clueless as to what my course of action should be now, and desperately need some guidance.

Sorry if i waffled on a bit but i wanted to give you all the facts in the hope it might help.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this post folks

Ray

Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Probably there's no phone fitted. To be sure just email jag customer services with the last 6 of the VIN or ask nicely at any jag dealer. They can print out the full car build details.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is sure way to tell if you have a phone fitted. Look up at the overhead console. Next to it there will be a surface mounted microphone. It is the little box looking thing next to the sunglass holder in the attached picture.

Now, in the 2003 (2002.5 in UK) cars up till about 06 or 07 the mere presence of the microphone only means that you have a phone and is no guarantee that you have bluetooth. The early cars had the more common option of a factory fitted Motorola V60 phone. This was mounted in a cradle on the underside of the center console door. So, the factory phone gave you the phone module then adding bluetooth required the addition of a bluetooth module.

So, more than likely you don't have a phone, even though the radio controls are there. They only made one radio face plate, so if there is no phone those buttons just don't work... BTW Land Rover does the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails mobile phone connection-s_type_phone.jpg  

Last edited by JOsworth; 09-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks for you help folks, much appreciated.... Is it possible to fit a bluetooth connection that would enable me to use my mobile phone in the car via the existing phone buttons or would it just be more hassle than it's worth and too expensive?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 AM

My XJ Sovereign accepted my Nokia after following the instructions in the book, then one day it decided to stop working. Any ideas? I have another problem too. My car is now 5 years old so I decided not to have it serviced at the very expensive rates of Stratstones, but put it to a former Jaguar company who still have Jaguar trained mechanics, but they dont have the computer access and in trying to zero the message saying "service required" they have changed my cruise control to speed limiter. Do I have to go cap-in-hand to Stratstone to have this fixed?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Originally Posted by annajj
My XJ Sovereign accepted my Nokia after following the instructions in the book, then one day it decided to stop working. Any ideas? I have another problem too. My car is now 5 years old so I decided not to have it serviced at the very expensive rates of Stratstones, but put it to a former Jaguar company who still have Jaguar trained mechanics, but they dont have the computer access and in trying to zero the message saying "service required" they have changed my cruise control to speed limiter. Do I have to go cap-in-hand to Stratstone to have this fixed?
I'd say you should keep your cap on your head and get the chaps who screwed it up to get it sorted.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rayranson
Thanks for you help folks, much appreciated.... Is it possible to fit a bluetooth connection that would enable me to use my mobile phone in the car via the existing phone buttons or would it just be more hassle than it's worth and too expensive?
Actually it is pretty easy to install the components.. You'll need the phone module (that is basically the interface that plugs into the radio) and the bluetooth module (it plugs into the phone module). As a set they run over $1,000 here and I never see them listed on sites like E-bay. I'm not sure, but chances are you could find a lower cost and more availability in the UK. There are other aftermarket solutions, like units from Parrot that only cost around $100.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Thanks, Norri, I just thought there might be a quick answer to save me an hour's drive back to the garage. I have phoned them and await their reply. My car is running like a dream apart from that. My love of Jaguars goes back to the first Jag I drove the day I passed my test (my grandfather's Mark V11 which he let me drive home - before that he had a Mark V, BRG, sunshine roof and running boards, but I was too young to drive then!!) My husband has an S type but he is NOT mechanically minded and no help if things go wrong