XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo upgrade

Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Do a search in this section (the XK8/R) and the Audio/Visual Electronics section w100, there's a few threads around on the upgrade possibility.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More detailed information in portable source unit ..(i.e. Zune, mp3 playrs, ipod), integration is what I would like to see...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Crutchfield audio has a lot of choices and connector cables designed to plug into the factory wiring harnesses. I have not checked if they have Jaguar compatible harnesses but you may want to call or check their website.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cpm53
Crutchfield audio has a lot of choices and connector cables designed to plug into the factory wiring harnesses. I have not checked if they have Jaguar compatible harnesses but you may want to call or check their website.
Checked with Crutchfield...the advisor I spoke with said there are "no products available" for the Jaguar XK8. I was rather surprised that there are no procucts at all. I've been using a cassette adapter to play my Zune in my XK8. Sounds good, but I'm sure there is a better way.......

Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Crutchfield has connection adapters available for jaguar XK8 because that's where I got my pioneer from. And I got the adapter from them, I had to send them the schematic to make sure they had the proper one. I thinks it also worked for Fords. I made a special adapter for the 1.5 din opening so I could get it to fit but you can use pretty much any stereo you want.

Attached Thumbnails stereo upgrade-pioneer.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Crutchfield has connection adapters available for jaguar XK8 because that's where I got my pioneer from. And I got the adapter from them, I had to send them the schematic to make sure they had the proper one. I thinks it also worked for Fords. I made a special adapter for the 1.5 din opening so I could get it to fit but you can use pretty much any stereo you want.

Do mean the connection harness..that allows you to connect the aftermarket head unit to the factory wiring?....you got that from Crutchfield ? What about steering wheel control adaptors, that allow you to control the aftermarket head unit from the steering wheel controls...any luck finding one those ?
I'm now seriously considering the new JBL MS-8 that was just released or the Alpine PXE-H660. They are both factory integration units that allow you to maintain the factory head unit and also retailor the audio system. Leaning more towards the new JBL unit.....looks real good from what I've read...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Veteran member

the PAC SW1 I believe is the correct model number, is fully programmable, and works perfectly with the steering wheel controls. We only get four commands though, so choose wisely. There is that short delay when activating it, most noticeable when you try to raise/lower the volume, can't do anything about it however.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Veteran member

BTW, i heard the JBL unit has a inherent problem with ground loop interference, i've heard more than one comment about that.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
BTW, i heard the JBL unit has a inherent problem with ground loop interference, i've heard more than one comment about that.
So someone has actually reviewed the unit ? I have been looking all over for a product review. Not sure which direction I'm going to go in yet.....

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Sorry magnet, I retract my statement, I meant the JL Audio Cleansweep is the processor that getting alot of noise, got that from the installers (and heavily recommend JL Audio products)

Haven't heard a thing on the JBL unit. Proceed with your research, looks pretty cool by your link...that now suddenly works.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey H20boy, best off to stay with personal experiences, as I'm sure that you understand, the problem with propagating misinformation is rampant on the internet. The Cleansweep@ is actually very quiet, I haven't heard of any ground loop noise problems as are being discussed. If there are, please contact me at the factory (JL Audio) at 954-443-1100, my extension is 2129, I'll be happy to help do the troubleshooting needed to determine where the problem lies but we have yet to receive any feedback such as you have mentioned. What problems we have received have been due to misunderstanding basic system set-up or, incompetent installation.

By disparaging product (any product), you make yourself appear much less professional than you have shown in previous posts. Best off to rave about what you like than disparage off of unsubstantiated internet forum babble.

I honor the feedback and help that you have given numerous folks here on Jaguarforums, you've spent alot of time and provided lots of good advice, keep up the good work!

If anyone is interested in any information on JL Audio product, please feel free to contact me at the factory at the above number or, at wbenjamin@jlaudio.com

BTW...the Cleansweep® in my '02 XKR sounds great, has no noise or interference, and was a relatively simple install.

The following users liked this post:
NateXKR (05-11-2015)
Old 05-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by wcben
...I'm sure that you understand, the problem with propagating misinformation is rampant on the internet.
I wholeheartedly agree. I do try to be very conscious about not making claims that I have not personally experienced. I should have clarified only that it was hearsay, but I only mentioned it because it was a shop that I trust. It is nice to know that you care enough about your product to promote its quality, refute any 'rumors' and share your feedback. Installing the unit in your personal vehicle speaks volumes to its potential.

What problems we have received have been due to misunderstanding basic system set-up or, incompetent installation.
I would not be surprised at all if this was the case

By disparaging product (any product), you make yourself appear much less professional than you have shown in previous posts. Best off to rave about what you like than disparage off of unsubstantiated internet forum babble.
No disparaging intended, again, I should have emphasized what I heard was not my experience. I do, when thinking clearly, simply say something like, "I prefer this one because it does this for me ..."

Remember, to keep my opinion in perspective, I do support JL Audio all over the place when talking subs and amplifiers. I too have them tucked into my vehicle. To bash a product that I clearly promote the mother company (on these forums and elsewhere) would be silly on my part.

We're lucky to have you around here. wcben, I'd be interested to see your install, perhaps you could show us how you installed yours, the cool features of your processor, and promote your products, unless you aren't allowed to do so. If you can, start a new thread.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Yes, the harness connects from to the main unit and uses the 4-channels output side of the stereo as signals into the factory amp. I believe I did have to cut the factory harness off and make the connections to the main harness. It also has level adjustments built in to each of the channels so you can limit the max volume. They also have adapters for the steering wheel controls but I never installed one, the knob isn't that far away.

I did mine a while ago so I hope everything is accurate. Don't have any of the new usb stuff but mine has the bluetooth phone and audio. So my phone actually connects via bluetooth and my music on the phone plays through the stereo, much better than IPOD in my opinion. It's awesome, no wires and all hands free. I kept the original stereo in case I sold it and they wanted the original. Use to drive me nuts with the auto volume correction. Stereo constantly changed volumes based on speed not noise and no way to disable it.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If I just want to change out the speakers with better ones. Can it be done without having to add an amp? I am worried that if I change the 3 speakers and use only 2 with the factory set up I will not be getting the full range of sound. Any Ideas? I prefere to not have to do a full system uppgrade for now.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

I typed up once that I was unsure of where the crossovers were located in the car, if there were any...perhaps all crossed over at the amp? Honestly, I don't know how you could do the 3-speaker setup -> 2 swap without either digging around, or doing a small aftermarket amp to start a fresh signal. Everything could still work from the deck, especially the sub gain, if you were worried about that part.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was hoping to do an upgraded speker swap with all 8 factory speakers and then matybe upgrade the amp and head unit at a later date, what speakers can work with the factory amp? The problem I am running into is no one makes a 3 way components speaker system for the 6 front speakers.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 PM

I changed out the rear subs on mine with 6" or 6.5" inifinity component woofers. They came with two small tweeters but I never installed them. Also had the crossovers with them. i just removed the sub, cut the connector about 6" back and installed them. The Sound is great and plenty on bass even though they're just woofers. I don't listen to rap so I don't care or want my trunk rattling from big subs.

I don't believe you'll find exact replacements for all the speakers so just see what you like and what sounds good. I had inifinty speakers in my Mustang and always had great sound, so as they go I change them out. Everyone that rides in my car loves the sound and If I want I can make their ears bleed. And for a convertible that's saying something.