XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power window relay/fuse 85 xj6 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window relay/fuse 85 xj6 help

All my windows will not go up or down anymore. Is there a fuse that controls the windows,if so where is it. From what I've read there is a relay. can anybody tell me where it is and how to test it. I think I found it,but not sure. the one I found is black, round and has the numbers 87,86,85 and 30/51 and lucus uk on it. also I read about a master window switch, I don't think there is one in my vehicle, if there is how do I know if it is good

Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Assuming you have a left hand drive car the window relay is at the extreme right side of the dashboard, outboard of the glovebox. It has brown, white/pink, black/pink, and red/slate wires. The numbers you mentioned are standard terminal designations and don't identify what the relay is used for.

With a test light or volt meter you can male some simple checks:

The brown wire should have 12v at all times.
The red/slate should have 12v with the key "on"
The white/pink should have 12v with the key "on"
The black/pink should be ground at all times *unless* the master switch is flipped.

Output from the relay branches off to two circuit breakers. Since all of your windows are inop it isn't likely to be a circuit breaker

The master switch is between the regular window switches and works by grounding or un-grounding the relay

Post back if you need more help

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
85xj6iii (06-03-2014), adenshillito (05-01-2021), LnrB (10-25-2015)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM

Hi Doug, I am facing the same windows problem where both aren't operating. I have cleaned the switches, checked the thermal breakers. I have removed the relay but couldn't tell if its faulty. The wires going into the relay are: white/pink, red/brown, black and brown. Can you please advise which wire goes to which terminal of the relay (85, 86, 87, 30/51).

Thanks,
Gilbert

Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Your wires colors don't agree. Are you sure you have your hands on the correct relay?

30/51 solid brown wire (constant 12v)
87 red/slate (outout to thermal breakers)
86 black/pink (ground)
85 white/pink ('key on' 12v)

If ALL the windows and sunroof are inoperative a good place to start is the lock-out switch. Has it been flipped?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Hi Doug, problem solved! It was the relay... What an annoying place to change it. I used another relay from the engine bay (guess horn relay) and now windows are working!

My car is actually an XJ-SC and not a convertible.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Gilbert

Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks so much!! Mine was just a loose wire from the relay. For months my windows worked once in a while but they never got stuck in the open position. Until yesterday eve and I live in Harlem, not to relaxed with leaving my windows open there for a night. So after some digging on a McDonalds car park where I stept onto a bag a sweet honey sauce with my bear feet I got it.

Thanks a bunch forum folkes!!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What and where is the lockout switch? Is it the same as the master switch, and what do you mean by saying flipped? I have no experience in electrical issues. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

It's one of the two switches between the regular window switches, the other being the sunroof switch.

It disables the power window circuit

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
85xj6iii (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
It's one of the two switches between the regular window switches, the other being the sunroof switch.

It disables the power window circuit

Cheers
DD
Thanks for you prompt response!

I am having the same problem as everyone else above. All windows and the sunroof do not operate. I read the thread here and ordered a new relay. While I am waiting for it I want to make sure that the master switch is operable (can it go bad?).

Are the brown and black/pink cables connected to the master switch suppose to have any current?

And , since I took them out and flipped them which gave me no results, I don't know what cable goes under what number on the master switch?

Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

The master switch (or lockout switch) doesn't carry "+" voltage. It just opens/closes the ground circuit to the relay. It should have just two terminals and since it's a simple open/close switch it doesn't matter which way the wires are hooked up.

It should have a black.pink wire (from the relay) and a solid black wire (which eventually goes to a ground point). It shouldn't have a brown wire. A solid brown wire on your Jag will always be constant 12v "+".

Cheers
DD

Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 PM

The master switch (or lockout switch) doesn't carry "+" voltage. It just opens/closes the ground circuit to the relay. It should have just two terminals and since it's a simple open/close switch it doesn't matter which way the wires are hooked up.

It should have a black.pink wire (from the relay) and a solid black wire (which eventually goes to a ground point). It shouldn't have a brown wire. A solid brown wire on your Jag will always be constant 12v "+".

Cheers
DD
Got it! The master switch is not flipped, and I checked the voltages.

Brown has around 13 all the time
White/pink has around 13 when key is on.
Black/ pink ground works.

But the double red/slate has no voltages key on/off. I also checked all four red/slates under the glove compartment going in and out of the (I guess 2 circuit breakers?).

The relays part connecting to red/slate, numbered 87, was also different color than the rest 86,85 etc., sort of like oxidized.

Any suggestions, I'm getting better at this with my new voltage meter lol.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'd say the relay is dead !

Good work!

Cheers
DD

85xj6iii (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 PM

I'd say the relay is dead !

Good work!

Cheers
DD
Wow done! Just closed my windows!

Thanks Doug. I would pay you for consultation and offer you beer if you came by. I feel like I will be working on this car alot.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Doug, I gave my 87 XJ6 to my daughter when I bought my 99 XK8. She came up to me two days ago and says "DADDY!! All my windows stopped working!! Well, I often wondered what that "sixth switch" was. Her windows work now....

Old 10-12-2014, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Daddy, "my car doesn't work". A macro in most daughter's vocabulary!!!
Been doi8ng it for decades..... Mine's luck with men has been abysymal. None to fix her cars???? But, if only that was the worst of it!!!

Carl

Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 AM

Hi buddy can you please email me a photo of the window relay location
Thanks
Mani

mani.gill379@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Gilbert9
Hi Doug, problem solved! It was the relay... What an annoying place to change it. I used another relay from the engine bay (guess horn relay) and now windows are working!

My car is actually an XJ-SC and not a convertible.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Gilbert

Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 PM

I have an 87 XJ6 - same sort of problem - one side works, the other side doesn't. I did put in a different (corvette) circuit breaker - turned on the power and the cockpit was engulfed with fumes. The window motors work; traded the window switches with the side that works - the switches work. When I put the circuit breaker back in, turned on the juice - I get a clicking noise. Any thoughts? The circuit breakers are $50 each at sng.....

Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by csdeneen3
I have an 87 XJ6 - same sort of problem - one side works, the other side doesn't. I did put in a different (corvette) circuit breaker - turned on the power and the cockpit was engulfed with fumes. The window motors work; traded the window switches with the side that works - the switches work. When I put the circuit breaker back in, turned on the juice - I get a clicking noise. Any thoughts? The circuit breakers are $50 each at sng.....

Output from the relay branches off to two circuit breakers, left side and right side. So, try replacing the other one.

(The sunroof is paired up with the left side, by the way).

Fumes? Like burning? You may have a chaffed wire grounding out, or a very dirty connection causing high resistance....and lots of heat.

The clicking noise might be the circuit breaker itself. Or the relay.

You can replace the breakers with fuses. I'd say 20 amp would be about right unless you try to operate multiple windows at once. Some of the GM breakers were 30 or even 50 amp, as I recall.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
csdeneen3 (05-20-2019), LT1 jaguar (05-19-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 AM

Doug - thank you for your quick response. If you were looking for a chuffed ground - where would you look?

Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

the Master / Lockout switch is also known as the "Valet" switch.

it is located at the top center of the "ski slope" where the 4 window switches and the Sunroof switch are mounted.

if the Valet switch is OFF, none of the 4 window switches or the Sunroof switch will work. The REAR seat's center console rear window switches will also not work. So in the REAR, the two switches are also defeated with the Valet switch which is then known as "child-proof" switch if you have children in the rear seat.

The Valet switch has two wires connected to it at the rear of the switch. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal, it will work ON-OFF even if the wires are reversed.

yachtmanbuttson (05-21-2019)

Quick Reply: power window relay/fuse 85 xj6 help