S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Filter for S-type

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cabin Filter for S-type

I just changed the cabin filter on my cat. It was a very simple process, and I'm really glad I did it. The filter was really dirty. My cat is a 2000 but with only 45k miles, I was wondering if it needed to be changed and it did.
I didn't see any mention of the cabin filter for s-types so I thought I'd put a note out here on where it is located.

The cabin filter is located in the engine compartment, on the passenger side, all the way in the back, underneath the plastic.

You simply remove the 4 plastic pens on the passenger side with a flat head screwdriver.
Remove the 2 small screws near the front windshield that hold the rubber molding to the glass.
This should give you enough room to slide out the old filter and replace with a new one. I found one at Advance Auto for 19 dollars. If you break the plastic pens, don't worry, they do have replacements at the local auto store (Advance Auto). No I don't work there, I just broke all 4 and needed to replace.

Sorry if this is a very rookie post. I'm just trying to give back to a site that has given me a great deal of advice. Thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
Tony K. (03-02-2020)
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

thank you, maybe ill do mine this weekend. Thanks for the heads up though. Something i completely forgot about.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default thanks for info on filter

Appreciate the direction on how to change filter. I looked at an alldata repair guide detailing how to do it and they show removal of some wiper equipment to get at the filter which concerned me. Will follow your direction and hopefully not break any of those plastic pens . Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my cabin filter about 2 months ago and I too have a 2000 S-type.

Your description of how to get in there to the filter compartment makes it sound so easy.

Maybe your car was built by better engineers, because mine was a much more of a "pain in the ***" to get to the filter.

Why?
(1) Because the distance between the hood strut (? not sure if this is what it's called) and the filter compartment is about 3/16" too close together to be able to easily take out the filter.
(2) I also ended up having to remove (temporarily) part of the windshield seal in order to slide out the plastic cowl (didn't see any screws that you mentioned). Putting that seal back in place was a REAL pain.

At least you're right about those plastic pen things. I replaced mine with stainless steel bolts. No chance of breaking those babies (although a little tricky to tighten with the ratchet)!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was studying my ACC Cabin Filter last night. i noticed that to gain access to the filter, you have to remove part or the whole of the surrounding parts which i find impractical. is there an easy way to do it?

Last edited by daviddrift; 07-31-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddrift
i was studying my ACC Cabin Filter last night. i noticed that to gain access to the filter, you have to remove part or the whole of the surrounding parts which i find impractical. is there an easy way to do it?
What model year do you have? Rick has a very good post on cabin filters although it is tailored for 2005 model years and it may vary depending on your vin. I have an early 2005 and I had to remove the four push pins holding the cowling cover and then I could access the cabin filter.

Try the thread listed below as a starter. It has the tools required as well as a pretty good write up. The usual disclaimer of your results may vary apply but it is a good starting point.

I would add that Rick is a Jaguar enthusiast and is a pretty good DIY mechanic, but not a technician as far as I know.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=27547

Last edited by carelm; 07-30-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Mike, thank you for the kind words! It is true I am just a guy with some tools hangin' in the garage . Pure shade tree mechanic here, not a tech.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Mike, thank you for the kind words! It is true I am just a guy with some tools hangin' in the garage . Pure shade tree mechanic here, not a tech.
Rick, you are still missing two things though.. a lift and a beer drinking zone sign. I suspect the sign might be easier to swing though.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

You do realize there is a FAQ?? It has a complete set of directions with pictures for this. No point in reinventing the wheel every time!!! Lots of good stuff in the FAQ!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=27547

Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

club, I did realize that the OP did a nice write up 2 months before I enhanced a write up with pictures. You know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". But apparently davidrift missed the FAQ section.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibajack
I just changed the cabin filter on my cat. It was a very simple process, and I'm really glad I did it. The filter was really dirty. My cat is a 2000 but with only 45k miles, I was wondering if it needed to be changed and it did.
I didn't see any mention of the cabin filter for s-types so I thought I'd put a note out here on where it is located.

The cabin filter is located in the engine compartment, on the passenger side, all the way in the back, underneath the plastic.

You simply remove the 4 plastic pens on the passenger side with a flat head screwdriver.
Remove the 2 small screws near the front windshield that hold the rubber molding to the glass.
This should give you enough room to slide out the old filter and replace with a new one. I found one at Advance Auto for 19 dollars. If you break the plastic pens, don't worry, they do have replacements at the local auto store (Advance Auto). No I don't work there, I just broke all 4 and needed to replace.

Sorry if this is a very rookie post. I'm just trying to give back to a site that has given me a great deal of advice. Thanks!!
I found a Desno cabin Air filter for 28 bucks at Advanced Autoparts, but so far nothing cheaper, gonna try Napa auto parts on Monday. Thanks to all for the wonderful info about how to change the cabin filter

Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a Purolator filter from AAuto. Not up to the quality of the original Ford part and at $28 plus tax probably no cheaper. I do not suggest buying from EBay as you are likely to get something of extremely poor quality (at least from the pictures I say on EBay) that could be worse then nothing.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

I agree JD. As most will agree here that the members that have changed their filter in their "new" ride will state that the cabin air filter looks like the original. When I replaced Joyces last year, the old one appeared to be the original and loaded with sand and leaves (Florida vehicle). We (Joyce and myself) noticed a slight difference in the air flow AC/heat in the cabin after replacement. The cheapo I believe would work well if you plan on replacing every 10k.

Last edited by joycesjag; 08-05-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not just S types that have "forgotten" cabin/pollen filters. Just serviced a VW Golf and a Ford which allegedly have full service histories yet the cabin filters have been full of debris and looked original. One thought is that the filter can be difficult to find, often hidden behind the glove box so garages just "forget" to replace them!

On my S type I replace every year and/or 10K miles. They are cheap enough in Uk from the Jag dealers and even at that interval the old filter is always black and full of leaves etc.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

The filter I replaced in Joyces Jag

Attached Thumbnails Cabin Filter for S-type-debris.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Rick,

Mine was slightly darker than yours with similar types of debris. I had some bird feathers though. Perhaps the previous owner nailed a bird or two. Interestingly enough, for RHD cars the filter is on the left side of the firewall. It looks like the entire firewall setup is mirror imaged for RHD cars. I saw a UK based Jaguar forum that had a write up very similar to yours with the requisite pictures. Apparently great minds think alike.

Mike

Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

great or maybe simple minds??!! I have wondered about the RHD vehicles, in general I wonder if everything is a mirror image.

On the filter, no bird feathers here, just a bunch of leaves that where at the bottom of the box and and half of Sarasotas beautiful white beach sand.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I have wondered about the RHD vehicles, in general I wonder if everything is a mirror image.
Not everything. Plenty at the front is the same as with LHD. Car sales sites such as autotrader carry useful photos if you want to see
(And jtis has some data such as plan view of harness routes, belt drive routing etc.)

I think the trunk items (battery, modules etc) are the same whether LHD/RHD.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a newer Jaguar owner and not a mechanic, not even close! But I took the cat for an oil change and now the check engine light is on. The oil is full, the cap is on. The tech said that the air filter housing was damaged...where is this part? I find it hard to believe no chck engine light on prior to oil change and now its on......thanks in advance for helping...if you had a picture of it maybe I could find it.

Thanks,
Ms. Jaguar45