X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an issue with the TCM module getting wet and throwing that msg as well.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 PM

I do not have kids it cost me that much!!!!!

Honestly it was some where around $1000 cdn to get it fixed...

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesssheka
Was recently told by a jag mechanic that my problem may not be the tranny after all. It may actually be the engine misfifing and jolting the transmission causing it to send up the Gearbox fault message. I'm gonna take it in to get the codes cleared as he said then wait for the check engine light to come back on. He said once it comes back on (and hopefully it won't) I should take it immediately back up to get the codes checked to see what it's saying. It could be a coil failing. I'm going to take his advice and hope it works. I'll post what my results are as soon as all this is over! Wish me luck!
lol, that the biggest line of bs Ive heard in awhile. And he basis this on what...nothing. You need to have wds or ids Jaguar specific scan computers hooked up to see whats going on. Alot of generic scanners cannot give you the info you need.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Last summer, about august, my 02 began to behave similar. I would get gearbox fault, cruise not available and then went into limp mode. I thought it was HEAT related. After turning car off, waiting and then restart all would be good for awhile, at least till I got home. It would happen the next day and I would respond the same way. Then it happened twice in one day of driving, approx 35 miles. I was made aware at that time the gas at the pump had been switched to the 10% ethanol additive. Knowing that the spec calls for high octane I filled up with "100%" gas, no ethanol. Problem did not come back. I also now carry some octane boost, just in case of no choice. Look for the stations that advertise 100% gas. Also ALL pumps that contain ethanol additive are labeled 10% ethanol.

I can't say this will help you but it made me happy again.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Striker27, where is the TCM located?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems this only tend to happen when the car get wet.... car wash.... raining..... check the sunroof drains on the driver side. There is a tube that comes off there and allows water to drain down the "A" pillar trim and onto the TCM (located behind the drivers kick panel)

I saw this numerous time...... however bad new is once this starts to happen, even if you fix the leak, the TCM is no good any more.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesssheka
Hello, I recently got my 2002 Jaguar X-type in September of last year. I had no problems until January. It was pretty cold in the morning when I went to start the car. It went into reverse but hesitated when I put it into drive. My check engine light came on and we took the car to get it checked out. Autozone hooked the computer up and the only code it got was P0300 which I am told is random cylinders misfire. The car gave us no trouble until around March when it completely stopped working. We realized that the dealer had put in a battery for a Kia and that it wasn't giving out enough charge to keep the car running. In order to start the car we were having to jump start it. We looked up the proper battery and replaced it and had no further problems. Then a few weeks ago after an oil change and car wash the "Gearbox fault/Cruise control not available" message popped up. We had the transmission fluid checked and were told that it was fine. Again the only code the mechanic found was the P0300 which he cleared for us. We got in the car today and the same Gearbox fault/no cruise control available message again came up. It was raining outside so we decided to take the car home. Any suggestions what it could be? I really hope it isn't the transmission because if it is we are probably going to get rid of it seeing how it would cost more to fix than we bought her for.
Easy fix probably, if you do a search for my posts you'll see I have had EXTENSIVE related issues although mine has never read cruise controle, just straight gearbox fault at which point it goes into limp mode (4th gear only).

Here's all you need to do. Probably getting watter into the TCM which is located on the drivers side beside your left foot inside. You have to take off a ton of crap then you'll see it. Rectangular 8"X4-5"X maybe 1" thick with a wire harness and 3" long plug going in the top of it.

Unplug the TCM and pull it out, check for corrosion on the contact point on both the plug and and the TCM itself. Clean it all and plug it back in and disconnect the battery (before you start is a better idea) to clear the codes.

Now the deal is to find out how the water is getting in. Still can't trace mine but when it happens again I'm taking a sandwich bag, cutting off the bottom to create a plastic sleeve and putting it over the TCM and taping the snot out of the wires above slow the water will go over the plug instead of into it.

The following users liked this post:
rm1111 (11-05-2021)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Can someone take a picture to help locate the TCM? I am either blind or I haven't taken enough trim off.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Default Gearbox Fault

Had that problem and it was fixed by replacing a $70 oxygen sensor.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Easy fix probably, if you do a search for my posts you'll see I have had EXTENSIVE related issues although mine has never read cruise controle, just straight gearbox fault at which point it goes into limp mode (4th gear only).

Here's all you need to do. Probably getting watter into the TCM which is located on the drivers side beside your left foot inside. You have to take off a ton of crap then you'll see it. Rectangular 8"X4-5"X maybe 1" thick with a wire harness and 3" long plug going in the top of it.

Unplug the TCM and pull it out, check for corrosion on the contact point on both the plug and and the TCM itself. Clean it all and plug it back in and disconnect the battery (before you start is a better idea) to clear the codes.

Now the deal is to find out how the water is getting in. Still can't trace mine but when it happens again I'm taking a sandwich bag, cutting off the bottom to create a plastic sleeve and putting it over the TCM and taping the snot out of the wires above slow the water will go over the plug instead of into it.

Have you checked you sunroof drains? You can look by removing the "A" Pillar on the drivers side, the drivers door seal, drivers sun visor, drivers side grab handle and then GENTLY pull down the headliner. In most cases you will see the black hose just hanging out..... if this is the case, you can attempt to reconnect it, but it will probably will not go back on.
You can find a smaller hose to insert in both the drain and the sunroof drain hose, this seems to work pretty well.

GL

Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Default Check for water intrusion through ECM firewall connector

Greetings Gents,

I bought a used but mint condition 2002 X-Type back in 2005 and it's been a wonderful car. In May of 2006, I took it to the car wash and immediately following that; the gearbox fault light illuminated with the check engine light and it started shifting poorly (stuck in high gear). As it was still under the factory warranty, I had it picked up and taken to the dealership in Ventura California for repair. After three days of tracing the fault, they returned it to me fixed and telling me it was a "bad connector". I suspected it was somewhere under the car since it was "tranny related" and went on my merry way. The car has been doing fine for 4 years now but recent events indicate they may have significantly over simplified their explanation... I'll explain in detail later.

Several months ago, after a rain storm, the gearbox fault indicator re-illuminated as did the check engine light and the car once again started shifting poorly. I limped home but the next day the car was fine, no lights, not difficulty shifting. Suspecting it was water on the "bad connector" and since it was no longer under warranty, I let it go and ignored it. Sure enough, every time it rained, the same trouble cropped up (sometimes with an intermittent "cruise unavailable" indicator) and after a day or two of dry weather it would self correct. It was a minor inconvenience and since I didn't have extra money to give Jag, I put it off indefinitely. After several cycles of this wet/dry - fault/no fault problem, the check engine light remained on regardless of the gearbox fault status. Also, I now believe the problem must be somewhere on the upper part of the car since it will occur even if it is not driven in a rain (thus no splash to the underside) but just let sit in the rain and then driven afterward; it will immediately go into fault.

Now the rub... For those of you unaware of California emissions laws; every 2 years passenger vehicles must have a smog check done to renew the vehicle registration. Pity for me, an illuminated check engine lamp is an automatic FAIL! So, spurned on by California's ridiculous legislation; I have been forced to finally track down the gremlin in my jag and get it corrected.

Last week I dropped in on a local Euro mechanic and asked him to read the fault codes (which I'll include below) so I could start looking for what was causing the persistent check engine indicator. After reading the codes, he tried to reset the CE indicator but to no avail. It wouldn't even go off momentarily and then come back on, it was solid all the time. The tech told me this was typical of an electrical connector issue and not necessarily the modules indicated by the codes.

P0171 System Too Lean
P0174 System Too Lean
P0720 Speed Sensor Malfunction
P1111 Mfg. Cont. Fuel Air Metering
20720 Speed Sensor Malfunction

I explained to him the history of the bad connector and the wet/dry issue and he recommended I look over the engine compartment and under the dash to see if I could locate any places where water could be getting into the electrical system.

This week, I scoured car and I believe I am on to the culprit! As rain cascades down the windshield, it is directed left and right by the plastic grille over the passenger compartment air intake and windshield wiper motor assy... When it reaches the right ride of the vehicle, the water dumps into the area on the fender under the hood and from there can spill inward into the trough that encloses the wiper motor assy. At each end of this trough; are holes which allow the water to drain out, but on the right side, some of that water will run along the inside fairing of the firewall and like a river, goes right past the harness connector to the ECM where it bolts through the firewall and connects to the ECM located on the kick panel, forward of the passengers feet.

Due to the 5-point security bolt attaching the connector to the bulkhead/ECM, I haven't been able to pull the connector loose and inspect it. However, water intrusion at this point, explains all of the symptoms my vehicle has been experiencing so this is my next logical step. Also, and what ultimately led me to post here, it seems there are a number of posts that recommend checking for water intrusion to the ECM for gear box fault indicators.

As for the over simplification from Jaguar I mentioned; I called the dealership that fixed the original issue and asked them to look at the service records for my car and tell me the exact location of the "bad connector" that they found. The service manager was very helpful and informed me that according to the records; they only re-flashed the ECM. He agreed that due to the length of time they had the vehicle and the fact that the torx bolt looks as if it's been tampered with; the tech probably disconnected the ECM connector while tracing out the problem. He also agreed that water intrusion could be the root cause of the issue.

The Jag Service Mgr. told me that if I find any evidence of water intrusion or mineral deposits; before I go and immediately buy a new ECM try cleaning this one. He told me I could remove the ECM, open it up and scrub the contacts and tracings with electrical contact cleaner and soft tooth brush. Rinsing it thoroughly with DISTILLED water afterward and allow it to dry. Then re-assemble and re-install it. I know this works because I have done this exact thing with 2-way radios I have inadvertantly dunked in turbid streams or spilled coffee into during search & rescue missions.

That's my input, hope it helps anyone with similar issues.

Miss.kittie (02-18-2023)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM

Ok, following up, here is what I found...

I loosened the 5 point bold securing the ECM connector to the ECM and removed the connector. There were no indications of moisture or minerals evident on or in the plug nor on the now exposed male plug on the front of the ECM. Closer examination of the flange that sourrounds the connector penetration through the firewall revealed the possibility that water could enter the ECM from around the plug where it penetrates the ECM case.

I removed the ECM from the interior of the vehicle and there were no indications of intrusion around the plug either... At this point I was starting to just suspect a simple malfunction of the ECM but that still didn't explain the transient malfunction associated with rain. I decided to explore further and took the ECM into my shop and opened it on the bench. When I removed the cover, I saw no initial indication of water intrusion but when I lifted the circuit board up to inspect the under side; there it was! Along the end of the case opposite of the plug was staining, corrosion and mineral deposites outlining the puddle that had formed when the ECM case flooded. The outline of the staining indicated enough water had intruded (probably every time it rained) to fill the bottom portion of the case and submerge part of the circuit board.

I'll insert photos below but long story short; this was very difficult to find unless you open up the ECM, lift up the circuit board and actually look inside the aluminum case for trace evidence. I am going to clean it and hope that does the trick. I only hope that the water hasn't caused permanent damage to the ECM circuitry.

Old Auto (02-14-2015)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM

Sorry about that, the photos didn't upload so here's the link to all the photos I've taken; http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 PM

In earlier sections, there was talk about the Transmission Control Unit. Now, the discussion has gone to ECU. I'm not positive, but I think these are different items. It seems to me that these cars are extrememly sensitive to electrical issues no matter what the source.

I have been having some minor issues compared to these. But, I think you all have convinced me to clean all my main wire connectors. Thank you to everyone for their input. It really helps.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM

Hmn...

Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I said it before and I'll say it again. If you get a gearbox fault that is not accompanied by cruise not available it is my experience that it will be 75% caused by moisture. It always comes in from either the windshield leaking. Or an accumulation from in front of the firewall caused by the drain being plugged with crap. The TCM and ECM are 2 different things, you can take the TCM out its right by the fuse box, open it and see if there is oxidization (sp) in the box and on the plug, clean it up and fix the leak and you are good to go, fix it up and don't fix the leak and a month or 2 later it will be back.
The longer you drive in gearbox fault mode when it is moisture realted the more codes it will throw because there is a cascade effect. Literally after driving 25K the only light that wasn't on in my dash was the low oil. And not one guage functioned, from the speedo and tach to the fuel, everything was flatlined and it threw up every code in the book. I had the TCM replaced and didn't fix the leak and 2 months later it came back, and even after I cleared it it came back within minutes. After I found out it was coming through a bad windshield seal and had the windshield replaced it has never (knock on wood) come back!

Old Auto (02-14-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gearbox Fault!